Hi! I hope you’re enjoying following along with this project. I’m enjoying it and can’t wait to see how it turns out. I’ve done two others with this technique and I’m so in love. I hope you love it too, it’s easy, fun, a little messy and CHEAP, all the makings of a great technique.
1. First you’ll need just chalk pastels and some gesso to go over the dried molding paste or heavy gel you used for texture to begin with in Step ONE.
2. After your molding paste or heavy gel texture has dried take the pastels and rub them over the texture. This can be quite messy so work from the top down so the powder from the pastels doesn’t mix with that of the sections below.
Rub Pastel over texture Texture with pastel
3. At this point you’ll take gesso on a brush and brush gently over the pastelled texture leaving some dark areas and some lighter areas, even some full gesso strokes with no color. It adds interest. Then after the gesso is on you can rub the pastel on the texture again to get some darker areas on again leaving you with various values from white to dark. You’ll have to clean off your pastel to get the wet gesso off, but it doesn’t damage the pastel.
4. Here are how my three textured areas turned out after the gesso and pastel.
Note the darker and lighter areas where I didn’t fully mix in the gesso with the pastel and let it mingle allowing the full value of colors show through. This is enhanced when you go over the wet pastel with the fresh pastel to push in extra dark. Like I said, just wipe off your pastel with paper towels (keep them for future use) and you’re good to go!
So right now we have what is looking like a mess, and the fun part is that it IS a mess, but as we move forward on our next steps we will remember our original sketched out composition (don’t ever lose that) and decide on colors to go over our ephemera, and using other techniques we will bring that orignal composition together into a fun fun piece.
I hope you’re enjoying following along and If you have ANY questions about the steps just click on my Contact page or leave a comment even better and I’ll answer it for everyone.
Don’t forget to visit Hummingbird Studios on Facebook and Like our page or visit us on Twitter or better yet share this post with your friends!
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas. Peace and Light…..WK
- New Mixed Media Part 2 (katherinesands.wordpress.com)
- Follow Along Beveled Project Part II (windysavarese.wordpress.com)
- Beveled Canvas Project: Follow along!! (windysavarese.wordpress.com)
- Spring Couture Trend Alert: Very Pretty Pastels (fabsugar.com)